Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Taking a step back..

Today I learned to take a step back and look at my actions and the effect on others, before responding.  My HOH and i were having a intense chat via the internet regarding our rules and expectations.  My initial knee jerk reaction was to get upset and want to lash out, I didn't like what he was saying or how the rules have been making me feel. Instead I took a deep breath and thought about what I was wanting to accomplish with DD and then used that to help calm me and keep me focused on communicating.  Sounds so easy to type...but not so easy to do in reality. Several times I took a deep breath and walked away, calmed down and then came back keeping a respectful tone but still staying true to my feelings and needs.  The end result is, it was worth it! We talked, he listened and when the conversation ended I felt like we had taken a giant step forward in the right direction.


1 comment:

  1. Hi I am a HOH and it is difficult to relate sometimes with how the rules which my precious agreed upon make her so frustrated as well. I also am scared or dont know when i need to finish or make a unishment longer until sees fully sorry? do you have any advice or insite

    ReplyDelete